Alumina (Aluminium Oxide) Al2O3
Alumina is the more common name of aluminium oxide. It is a hard-wearing technical ceramic offering an excellent combination of both mechanical and electrical properties and is ideally suited to a wide range of industrial applications.
Alumina features high hardness and wear resistance, low erosion levels, high temperature and corrosion resistance and bio-inertness. Its high-temperature stability and thermal conductivity make it particularly suitable for high-temperature applications such as thermocouple protection in high-temperature measurement. A comprehensive range of advanced ceramic tubes and insulators is available from Precision Ceramics for this purpose.
- Excellent electrical insulation properties
- High compressive and dielectric strength
- High hardness and mechanical strength
- High thermal conductivity and thermal shock resistance
- Low density
- Resistant to strong acid and alkali attack at high temperatures
- Transparent to microwave radio frequencies
- Very specific thermal conductive and thermal expansion rates
- Wear and abrasion-resistant
Alumina can be produced in a wide range of purities with additives designed to enhance its properties. Typical purities range from 90 to 99.9% although Precision Ceramics generally work with 99.7% material.
It can be injection molded, die pressed, isostatically pressed, slip cast and extruded. Once fired and sintered, it can only be machined using diamond-grinding methods but prior to sintering advanced green and biscuit machining techniques developed by Precision Ceramics allow more complex components to be manufactured using traditional machining methods.
In addition Alumina can be readily joined to metals or other ceramics using metallising and brazing techniques.
Precision Ceramics specialises in tight tolerance, highly complex work and has extensive in-house machining facilities
– including 4th & 5th axis machining centers, drilling, grinding, milling, polishing, sawing, tapping, threading and turning
– to enable us to manufacture Alumina components to the highest specifications.
- Ballistic Armor
- Electronic components & substrates
- High-temperature electrical insulators
- High voltage insulators
- Laser tubes
- Machine components
- Mechanical seals
- Precision shafts and axles in high wear environments
- Roller and ball bearings
- Seal rings
- Semiconductor parts
- Shot blast nozzles
- Thermocouple tubes
- Tap plates
- Valve seats
- Wear components
- Wire and thread guides
Precision Ceramics also offer a range of standard fish spine beads, all manufactured from high purity aluminia and therefore vacuum compatible and fully dense. Click Here for further details.