When higher thermal shock, more spall resistance and lower permanent expansion upon heating is required, Solid Boron Nitride Grade HP is a superior solid grade for formulations of <1,000°C. Additionally, Grade HP has ten times the moisture resistance of Grade A due to the addition of calcium which combines with boric oxide to form calcium borate. Commonly used for many light metal applications such as Al, Ti, Mg and Zn.
Chemically – High corrosion resistance due to the addition of boron nitride; ten times the moisture resistance of other boron nitride solids due to the addition of calcium which combines with boric oxide to form calcium borate.
Thermally – Excellent thermal shock resistance and conductivity – commonly used in many light metal applications such as Al, Ti, Mg, and Zn.
Electrically – Low dielectric constant material – also commonly used in many high temperature insulators.
Machinability – Like other grades of Boron Nitride, Grade HP can be machined using standard high speed ‘tool steel’ equipment. Machining by grinding may be used if preferred or stringent tolerances are required.
- High temperature electrical insulators and vacuum furnace supports which require electrical resistivity, high temperature strength, thermal shock resistance and low chemical reactivity
- Crucibles and containers for high purity molten metalsInsulators and source fixtures for ion implantation systems which require high temperature purity and electrical insulation
- Radar components and antenna windows which require exacting electrical and thermal properties
- Setter plates for the processing of other advanced materials which require stable, inert surfaces
- Nozzles for powdered metal spraying
|Binder Melting Point||550℃|
|Maximum Use Temperature|
|Oxidizing vs (Inert):||850℃ (1150℃*)|
|Specific Heat @ 700℃ (J/g℃):||1.468|
|Dielectric Strength (V/mil):||1700|
|Hardness-Knoop (kg/mm2):||13.79 - 18.95|
|Pressing Direction (Para(Perp)||Para||Perp|
|Resistivity Ohm-cm RT:||>1014||>1016|
|Loss Tangent @ 8.8 GHz:||.0014||.0007|
|Dielectric Constant @ RT:||4.30||4.02|
|(W/m/K) @ 25℃:||27.0||29.0|
|Thermal Expansion Coefficient||Para||Perp|
|(RT to 1500℃) (in/in/℃ x 10-6); 1.0 (0.3)||2.95||0.87|
|Flexural Strength (psi)*||Para||Perp|
|Density (g/cc minimum):||2.0|
|Open Porosity (%):||3|
|Other Impurities (%):||0.02|
Based on 4-pt bend test-Sample size = 51mm x 4mm x 3mm