Alumina is the more common name of aluminium oxide. It is a hard-wearing technical ceramic offering an excellent combination of both mechanical and electrical properties and is ideally suited to a wide range of industrial applications.
Alumina features high hardness and wear resistance, low erosion levels, high temperature and corrosion resistance and bio-inertness. Its high temperature stability and thermal conductivity make it particularly suitable for high temperature applications such as thermocouple protection in high temperature measurement. A comprehensive range of advancement ceramic tubes and insulators is available from Precision Ceramics for this purpose.
- Excellent electrical insulation properties
- High compressive and dielectric strength
- High hardness and mechanical strength
- High thermal conductivity and thermal shock resistance
- Low density
- Resistant to strong acid and alkali attack at high temperatures
- Transparent to microwave radio frequencies
- Very specific thermal conductive and thermal expansion rates
- Wear and abrasion resistance
Alumina can be produced in a wide range of purities with additives designed to enhance its properties. Typical purities range from 90 to 99.9% although Precision Ceramics generally work with 99.7% material.
It can be injection molded, die pressed, isostatically pressed, slip cast and extruded. Once fired and sintered, it can only be machined using diamond-grinding methods but prior to sintering advanced green and biscuit machining techniques developed by Precision Ceramics allow more complex components to be manufactured using traditional machining methods.
- Ballistic Armor
- Electronic components & substrates
- High temperature electrical insulators
- High voltage insulators
- Laser tubes
- Machine components
- Mechanical seals
- Precision shafts and axles in high wear environments
- Roller and ball bearings
- Seal rings
- Semiconductor parts
- Shot blast nozzles
- Thermocouple tubes
- Tap plates
- Valve seats
- Wear components
- Wire and thread guides
Precision Ceramics also offer a range of standard fish spine beads, all manufactured from high purity aluminia and therefore vacuum compatible and fully dense. Click here for further details.